Links and Resources

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Do It Yourself (DIY) Postcard

If you're a follower on the Prairie Paperie page on Facebook you may remember when I showed you this digital design that I made using My Digital Studio (and I promised to show you what it looked like made into a real postcard that you can mail!)


In the next photograph you can see that I've printed the graphic out on GLOSSY 4x6" photo paper on my home printer. (hurrah for the home printer!). 


Note: in my settings I always choose vivid colour in the printer controls.





When you flip over to the back side of the glossy photo paper you have a GREAT canvas for stamping.  The paper on the reverse side is matte and has a bit of a grain to it, so Classic Inks will adhere very nicely to this surface....




To get the visual layout of a 'real' postcard I drew a line down the center of the card with a Stampin' Write marker and a small ruler.


Tip:  Use lighter colour inks when working on the back of the postcard, because the photo paper is thinner than cardstock and you do not want it to bleed through to the front.

I used my Winter Post stamp set to stamp the "Post Card" image in Sahara Sand Classic Ink.

For the 'post marked' image in the right hand corner I used a Stampin' Write marker, in Sahara Sand,  and inked up everything but the middle of the circle (which had a Christmas sentiment inside)...this technique is called 'omitting'.  I huffed on the stamp to remoisten the ink and stamped it onto the cardstock.

Next I inked up a small heart stamp from Holiday Blitz and the XOXOXO stamped it within the circular part of the postmark image. To finish it off, I watercoloured the heart with a blender pen and a pink watercolour wonder crayon.


My Digital Studio software, and all stamping products mentioned are guaranteed available through my Stampin' Up! store through June 30, 2010. You can go to the store by clicking HERE.  

What happens after June 30...our new catalogue is released with some brand new stamp sets and colours!



I hope you enjoyed your tutorial on how to make a DIY Postcard! 


Just think of the possibilities you have with your camera, My Digital Studio, your laptop/computer and your home printer!


~Dreena~
Do It Yourself (DIY) PostcardSocialTwist Tell-a-Friend

1 comment:

leslie said...

You are a FOUL TEMPTRESS! LOVELOVELOVE the post card idea. I even have two (ahem) post card stamps I could use on the back. Sigh.